Tuesday, March 11, 2014

On My Reading List

1. But Mama Always Put Vodka In Her Sangria, 2. Red Carpet Ready, 3. I Remember Nothing, 4. Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties

I love to read.  I always have.  Unfortunately, I don't have as much time for it as I would like and can usually only find time to read before bed (when I'm not playing Candy Crush or Bejeweled Blitz, for brain development, of course).  So, I've collected some books for my reading list that feature small chapters or short stories, which make for perfect bedtime reading.  I can read a chapter or short story or two and I'm not up until midnight trying to finish the whole book. Perfect.

I am a fan of the Rivers ladies, so I thought I would give Melissa's book "Red Carpet Ready" a go.  The back cover of the book says "Melissa shares tips and techniques for embracing your momentous times and being at your best when the focus is on you."  From what I've seen and read about Melissa and Joan, they're not afraid to tell it like it is and sometimes that honesty is exactly what you need to hear.  I'll let you know what I think.

A few years ago, I read Nora Ephron's "I Feel Bad About My Neck" and really enjoyed it, which is why I thought I'd read "I Remember Nothing And Other Reflections."  She wrote "You've Got Mail," one of my most favorite movies, and whether her work is on paper or the big screen, I always find it to be warm, charming, and thought provoking.


The two books above are by one of my favorite, modern Southern writers, Julia Reed.  She writes entertaining short stories that are current and on point, typically about Southern people and the Southern way of life.  I first became familiar with her writing by reading her column in Garden & Gun Magazine and now I can't wait to read her current submission whenever a new issue makes it's way to my mailbox.  I ordered "But Mama Always Put Vodka in Her Sangria!" and "Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties" because I needed more stories AND they include recipes.  Entertaining stories and delicious Southern recipes, sign me up!  I'll try out some of the recipes and let you know what I think.

What's on your reading list?

1 comment:

  1. Donna and I watched Sleepless in Seattle last night ( another Norah Ephron screenplay). This is a family favorite and we know the soundtrack by heart.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS